Welcome

This blog is a space to share my experiences during my Peace Corps service. It is also a space to share my art, and to question everything from female agency to fried hotdogs. I hope you enjoy :)

Friday, April 6, 2012

Why am I serving in the Peace Corps?

As I went through training and met people from all around the country it became clear that although we were all here to "change the world and help people" there were other motivations at play. We all have interests and future wants that color what our Peace Experience will be. Some are here for resume filling, some are here for adventure, some are here because it's better then working retail in the U.S. What we want from this experience and what thoughts about race, class, agency, sex, and privilege we have pose to inpact our service here and how we view those we work with. I challenge all of my fellow PVCS and those who are looking to serve in the Peace Corps to really honestly examine why you want to serve.

I am saying all of this and you may be asking yourself: Well why are You serving?

I am serving because I have a geniune love of people. People, their stories, their pain and triumphs in life inspire me. The ability to view life through a different lens is very important to me and the Peace Corps allows me to do that hundreds of times over.

I am serving because I want to do my part to make the world more equitable and try to open doors for people. My 2 years here is my attempt to help end poverty.

I am serving because I have interest in working in International Economic Development. The Peace Corps allows me to try on the life of a development worker and see if it is something that can be a real career for me.

I am serving because I am an artist. The space and inspiration that Peace Corps affords me is invaluable. The more I learn and see the more I want to create.

There you go. So why are you serving?

3 comments:

  1. I'm considering the peace corp and your blog is right on time. Esp because your a black woman doing a job that is historically associated with white male privilege. I look forward to talking with you about your experience and journey in the future.

    -nia hampton

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an open book for you sis. It was so hard when I was going through the process to connect with people like me. We are a real minority. I am the only Black person in my Group and there are about 5 of us in all of Panama. The Peace Corps office has been really helpful tho interms of connecting us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2988255136/ also this group on facebook will help you connect to the larger BPVC family. Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete