Welcome

This blog is a space to share my experiences during my Peace Corps service. It is also a space to share my art, and to question everything from female agency to fried hotdogs. I hope you enjoy :)

Friday, April 6, 2012

On Salchicha and other Panamanian delicacies

When I received my invitation to serve in Panama I started to think about food. I grew up around Ricans and love Mexican and Cuban food. Visions of spicy sultry flavorful dishes filled my head. In my mind the plates were filled of color and always deliciosa.... Then I arrived in Panama.

The colorful selections of food in my dreams, were replaced with a vast selection of browns and whites...and sometimes grays. There was to be no spicyness or for that matter even spice. The greatest delicacy would be this wonderfood called: Salchicha to Panamanians or Hot Dogs to Americans.

Fried Hotdogs for breakfast, lunch, or dinner

Satuaed hotdogs with onions

Boiled hotdogs with tortilla

The only way I haven't eaten hotdogs here is with ice cream. There is no susauge here and I found ground beef for the first time a week ago after living here for 3 months. I have no idea why everybody loves hotdogs so much here. My mom in Los Mortales did her best with the cooking but many times would forget the salt. She did make amazing Ohaldras which are like lil funnel cakes. I was so suprised about the lack of spice in the food however, being that I was in a place that had many afro latinos. I have heard that in Bocas del Toro, Colon, and The Darian there is better food. These are where there are huge swaths of Afro decentes. That still does not account for the lack of flava with the rest of the population since almost every family I have come across has some black people in it.

Another strange thing about food here: The LOVE SOUP! I am a sista from Philly and only ate soup for 2 reasons. 1) I was very sick or 2) It was very very cold. People here however eat it at the hottest point of the day when tempature rises up to 100 degrees! It has been a real adjustment to eat this much soup.

All is not bad here however on the food front. My new host family in Portobelillo make killer food! Pollo Grisada, fried fish, great stews. They usually pile my plate high enough for a whole family to eat so family don't be suprised if I come back to the U.S. Looking like Monique...


No comments:

Post a Comment