Welcome

This blog is a space to share my experiences during my Peace Corps service. It is also a space to share my art, and to question everything from female agency to fried hotdogs. I hope you enjoy :)

Friday, April 6, 2012

Los Mortales

As we lugged our bags to the bussito, my mind began to race frantically. Today was the day that we were moving from the hotels to our host families. What would they be like? Would I be able to connect with them? How would training change my idealic thoughts of Peace Corps Service? No matter how much I tried to picture what my family was like, I kept getting a shadow. I knew there was a mom, dad, and little boy. But who are they really?
I would know soon enough. The yellow bussito stopped amid a cloud of dust and gravel and my overstuffed luggage was dumped out the window. Thats when I saw my new home and new family.. The house was cement of aqua blue coloring with glass windows in the front (!!* very rare for my town). My new family stood outside waiting for me and I knew at once that I was truly home.
They set me up in a room that was far larger then I was expecting and went about trying to make me feel confortable. We sat in the peach colored living talking about why I was there and weather it snows all year in Philly. I joked around with my little brother Manuelito and my new "mom" Emily for about an hour and then set out to meet the rest of our family.
See in Los Mortales your "family" does not stop at your front door. You are part of a larger clan. In my case the Castillo Clan took up 3 houses side by side. Here is the break down of the most family in Panama:

Emily
She is my "mom" more like my big sister as she is only 31. Emily is incredibly shy and at times seems to fold into herself. She loves nothing more then spending time with her family and is really funny. We had so many beautiful times watching telanovelas or sitting in silence.

Manuel
He is 34, quick witted and ambitious. He has a govermental job and also wields bedframes and coches for trucks out of metal. Manuel has a really sly way of speaking.. Fast and quiet almost like a mumble. He was very much a "mans" Man. Hunting, fixing things, and also holding out his glass to be refilled. He was an amazing support to me and showed affection to his wife and son.

Manuelito
He was a perfect mix of his parents. Charming with always a bit of fire in his eyes. He also loved to do the mumble fast and smile thing like his dad. A typical 9 year old he loved to ride his bike, swim, and play with his friends. He also had one of the most beautiful singing voices and I kept trying to get us to perform a concert for the town....Never happened tho lol

Abuelo
He the person I was closest too. He looms over everyone with a strong lean build and campasino hat. At 68 he works from sun up to sun down on his farm, hearding cattle, and riding horses. He is a fierce intellectual and loved to talk to me about politics, art, and philosphy. All of this was hard to pick up because he is missing quiet a few teeth. He was a proud black man and loved to tell me stories of "morenos" here in Panama. He also loved to give long speeches at parties which would sometimes turn into sermons. Abuelo loved me very much and would Come to my house and yell "Mi Tempe... Mi Tempe!" . He really wants me to get married soon.

Abuela
Such a strong woman! She has battled Cancer and has won. Even though she has suffered bouts of weakness, she still cooked and even slaughtered chickens! She was great for hugs and loved to play bingo at her house.



Martita
My best buddie. 13 year old Martita reminds me allot of my little sister Che. Intelligent, witty, loves fashion and family. Like all 13 year olds she is trying on identies and learning how to love apperance. She often joked about poverty and society in a way that left me and my "aunt" fellow pcv Sara, on the floor in tears. After a long day of swimming it was time to return home and confront our cold showers. There is no hot water in our town and the majority of inhabitants use Outhouses. She remarked "I can't wait to get home, I am going to take the the nicest hottest shower ever!" Now we questioned her about this but she she was steadfast. She had hot water. Later she let us in on her secret.. "Just put some water on the stove..and then you can be like me all rich with hot water" lol I love her!

La Baby(Joyelis) Awwww known in our family as "The baby" , Joyelis was less then 2 months when we arrived. I spent allot of time spoiling her and holding her. At times my hair frightened her which made the family crack up and urge me to "blancha" or iron my hair. We had beautiful times.

That is just some of the characters in my family. Others include PCVS Sara, Rebecca, and Felipe. After 2 and a half months we grew so tight. Are family was like a rock and I miss them very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment