Welcome

This blog is a space to share my experiences during my Peace Corps service. It is also a space to share my art, and to question everything from female agency to fried hotdogs. I hope you enjoy :)

Friday, April 6, 2012

Black in Panama











When I arrived to Panama I brought with me more then clothes and books. I bought my experience as an African American with me as well as a desire to learn about people of African decent living in Panama. In Mexico I was referred to as Negra, which I thought was beautiful. It was always said with love and when people would yell Negrita bonita I felt powerful and beautiful. I came to Panama with that and found that no one here even uses the term.. There were no "Negros o Negras" only "Morena". Everybody here is some shade of brown so it was hard to distinguish the brownish redish coloring of indigenous people from the brownish redish or chocolate tones of the africana population. I was told that none of this was important "No Te Preocupas" when I referred to my race. But it was important to me! We have different histories and it has changed how the people of Panama talk and deal with race. It would not be fair to say that they don't have any pride in their Africaness and it would be untrue. Panama is a culture full of mix. Indigenous, African, and Spaniard flavors all mix together but there are some very strong African ties still present.

Tamborito Afro Decentes in Panama gather in a circle and play African drums while a woman leads in a Call and response song. Everyone sways and dances and sings. The first time I witnessed this I cried. It is such a powerful experience.

Congo- The name alone tells you all you need to know. The Afro latino population of Colon, a provience in Panama, put hankerchifes on their heads and partner male to female. They dance with their hips in a circle. The man twirls and jumps around the female and they sort of battle. I was asked to join in a Congo performance during Carnival and it was quiet an honor. What made it even more special? A fellow PCV, a white man from Ohio, took up a african crown and danced Congo with me!

I wondered time and time again; Where did the black folk come from? Was it all due to slavery? I asked around to my neighbors and Spanish teachers and found out some really interesting things:
  • Panama was once part of Columbia. Columbia had one of the largest Slave populations in all of Latin America. When Panama broke off many of the Afro Columbians were here.

  • Many people in Panama are actually from Jamaica! Time after time I was told about the Jamaican grandfather or great grandmother. The people here are very tapped into that culture as well. In Bocas Del Toro they speak Petwa but in Spanish and Reggae music is incredibly popular in All of Panama.

  • African Americans came down to Panama to help build the canal and many never left.
Enjoy some pictures of the beautiful people I have met while here. Part of my secondary project will be cross cultural sharing and self esteem workshops with the afro latino population here.

3 comments:

  1. It’s never too early to think about the Third Goal. Check out Peace Corps Experience: Write & Publish Your Memoir. Oh! If you want a good laugh about what PC service was like in a Spanish-speaking country back in the 1970’s, read South of the Frontera: A Peace Corps Memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! Thank you for the support. I am going to search for that memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Los negros en Panamá fueron traídos primero por los españoles como esclavos desde África a Panamá. Luego para la construcción del canal y el ferrocarril vinieron muchos inmigrantes negros de Barbados, Jamaica y otras islas del caribe. Espero haberte respondido tus dudas :)

    ReplyDelete