Welcome

This blog is a space to share my experiences during my Peace Corps service. It is also a space to share my art, and to question everything from female agency to fried hotdogs. I hope you enjoy :)

Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Art of the Salimar

"ooohooo he he oooo" You will hear this yelled at high volume throughout the Campo of Panama. Its part yoodle part cry. It is called Salimar and it is the Country way of saying "Wassup". When I first heard it I wondered, "why are these people crying?" Now as I walk through my town I get a few Salamars from people I am really close with.
You hear the most Salamarin' when men are drunk. They do different combinations and try to battle each other to see who can hold the longest note or do the most intricate runs. It is really cool. This is such a big part of life here in Panama that they made a reality performance show about it. Children battle each other to see who can Salamar the best. It is a really popular show and each child represents its state or provence. I have tried to link up a commercial for the show to give you a taste of it. Lets see if it works:


No comments:

Post a Comment