Welcome

This blog is a space to share my experiences during my Peace Corps service. It is also a space to share my art, and to question everything from female agency to fried hotdogs. I hope you enjoy :)

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Duros Vs. Water Ice



I am a Philly girl through and through. Anyone from Philly will tell you how important water ice is to the culture. My Childhood was filled with sweet flavored ices from Ritas and many times my friends and I would buy water ice off of the trucks that would patrol are hoods. Sometimes even riding on the back of the trucks for a block or 2! For those of you not from Philly, water ice is sort of like a snow cone... but better. At its best it has bits of fruit in it and it is always sweet and refreshing.


Panama has something like a Water Ice and PCV's as well as Panamanians love the stuff. Its called Duro's. It is usually made in a woman's kitchen with fruit pulp, water, and lots of sugar. It is then put in little sandwich bags and frozen. You bite the end of the sandwich bag and suck.. Often times with me it just drips all over the place. I am not the biggest fan as I am loyal to fault with the Philly water ice. However I did have one Duro that almost turned me into a fiend! It was Mareone and tasted like iced honey.. Very good.. Below are some pictures of PCVS eating duros lol



Crazy for Duros..Coffee Duros

No comments:

Post a Comment