Welcome

This blog is a space to share my experiences during my Peace Corps service. It is also a space to share my art, and to question everything from female agency to fried hotdogs. I hope you enjoy :)

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Long time no see


I had been religiously updating my blog, so my lack of posting in these past few weeks have left somewhat of a hole in the fabric of my life. In the space of my absence I have met a huge milestone in the life of my blog: I hit 1,000 views. Thanks to everybody that read and shared my stories. I never thought anyone outside of my family would read them yet here we are over 1,000 views in a month. You may be wondering then if I was at such a high momentum with page views, why I stopped posting?

Well for the past few weeks I have been incredibly sick and last week could barely see.

Last week I incurred some sort of eye infection. My eyes would leak fluid and then that fluid would harden into a crust around my eyes. When I would close my eyes at night by the morning I could not open them. They would be sealed shut. I had to use much effort and water to remove this hardened shell from around my eyes. Once I was finally able to open my eyes, I was greeted by a persistent stinging. At first it was dull and just a minor inconvenience but before long it felt like glass was being shredded in my eyes.  It would be so painful that I was forced to retreat into my room with bottles of water on my eyes. Most times I try to play cool and wait things out but when I told my father about my eyes he begged me to call my PCMO (Peace Corps Medical Officer).  I did and the office was so helpful. They advised me to go into the large city near my town and visit the clinic that has credit with Peace Corps.  Unlike the US, I could go to the clinic without fear of having to pay a bunch of money. As a PCV, I have free high quality health insurance. I sat in private clinic that seemed to be stuck in the late 60’s or early 70’s. The décor was mod and orange. A doctor saw me with a wait of less then 30 min and had my prescription filled in the hour.  The medicine was also free. It took another 5 days before glass-shredding effect in my eyes waned. I lost allot of Pasear and teaching time in this period, which made me feel bad as I was just getting my footing in these areas. However as I lay in my bed I was able to think about time and sickness in a very interesting way. I have been in site for almost 2 months. Out of those 2 months I have had very serious sicknesses for at least 3 weeks…Yet I have not felt like a sick person or unhappy. Even with my eyes sealed I was pretty upbeat. Although my body was going through all sorts of changes my spirit, heart, and mind felt great! 

Now I am back and ready to write.


No comments:

Post a Comment