Welcome

This blog is a space to share my experiences during my Peace Corps service. It is also a space to share my art, and to question everything from female agency to fried hotdogs. I hope you enjoy :)

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Elders


I adore Elders. They are my favorite group of people next to babies. At their best they are full of wisdom and have a freedom to express themselves that comes from a lifetime of not being able to say what you want. During my Peace Corps service, it has been the elders who have gone out of their way to welcome me. They teach me about natural medicine. They laugh at my name. They show me their scars from recent operations. Sometimes they say nothing and we just sit on their porch for an hour or 2. I have made a photographic essay on the people I treasure.

The Elders:
A very fly elder.

My host grandpa chilling with his radio

Elder with flowers

Goddess

Teaching me about about a medicinal plant used to fight diabetes. 

Grandma and Grandson

Stoic Elder

This elder is 90 years old and still loves to visit friends. This is him and his favorite hat.

Elveka and one of my favorite Elders,



Oni with her mother. 
Evelka with her grandma who is also a medicine woman.

Elder Swag. Although he is in his 60's he is single. Tell your grandma's :)

No comments:

Post a Comment